The Walker County Lake Master Plan is the result of a thorough planning process, developed over a five month period under the direction of a steering committee composed of key stakeholders in the community. Funded by a grant from the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham, Kelly Landscape Architects, LLC developed a feasible plan for expanding recreational opportunities at Walker County Lake.
Historically, the 163-arce Walker County Lake has been a well-stocked, well-maintained fishing lake, listed as the 3rd busiest fishing lake in Alabama in 2014. The Master Plan is a blueprint of future development of the lake and surrounding areas that provide a variety of recreational opportunities that respond to the needs of Walker County. Proposed improvements include, but are not limited to: archery, boating (kayaking and canoeing), camping (RV and tent), disc golf, multi-use trails, outdoor classroom, paintball, and general community spaces (i.e. pavilion parks). Come make Walker County Lake your recreation destination this Fall.
The overall goal of the Master Plan is to expand recreational opportunities for Walker County residents to increase the use of the lake by different demographic groups as well as regional travelers, all while maintaining its integrity as an angler’s lake and preserving the natural character. Walker County Lake is only one mile off the Industrial Parkway exit on Interstate 22, providing easy accessibility for people traveling from other parts of the county and other counties in the region.
The Master Plan is a part of a larger movement within Walker County to increase and enhance active living opportunities in order to improve the quality of life and promote active living for residents of Walker County. This project is also supported by the Walker County Health Action Partnership’s Livable Communities Priority Group, whose goal is to increase active living opportunities and improve environments throughout Walker County.
How can you help make the plan a reality?
- Like “Walker County Public Lake” on Facebook
- Donate to the project’s Razoo Page (crowdfunding)
- Join one of the sub-committees based on your interests
- Archery; Paul Kennedy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Boating/Kayaking; Katherine Patton (email@example.com)
- Fishing; Charlie Skalnik (205.221.1801)
- Funding & Publicity; Tana Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Trails (hiking, biking, birding); Andy Baril (email@example.com)
- Join the “Friends of Walker County Lake” Facebook group
- Host your next Fun Run at the lake
- Make Walker County Lake YOUR RECREATION DESTINATION
Want more information?
- Read a detailed narrative of the master plan
- Print out a copy of the master plan
- Official Press Release